Monday, February 16, 2015

... like Sam does

Sam, Jessica's German Shepherd puppy seems to be afraid of the smallest things. A shadow, a loud noise, a quick movement are a few of his fears. I say fears, but maybe they are more uncertainties. Because, really he is just a puppy and hasn't had the chance to experience much of life yet.
A few days ago, on our evening walk, Jessie introduced him to bridges. Just small logs or a rotting board over small streams or water ditches, not really a true bridge. But it serves the purpose.
At the first one, Sam simply refused. Dug his claws into the mud and made it clear with whimpers and whines that he had no intention of crossing that scary thing the humans called a bridge.
But with Jessie pulling on the rope leash and me pushing from behind, Sam made it across the small bridge, even though he made it sound like he was going to die. Before long we came across the next footbridge. Sam seemed to think it was not quite as bad, but still uncertain of us pushing him on.
The amazing thing was the very next evening, on our walk, Sam trotted across the small bridge with his head held high. Not a whimper or a whine. Soon he was running and jumping over the bridges like it was his favorite part of our walks.
Almost immediately, my Heavenly Father spoke to my heart. "Child, how do you respond when I ask you to do something new? How do you act when you are pushed our of your comfort zone? Do you learn as quickly as Sam?"
If anything in my life has pushed me beyond what I am comfortable with, Uganda has.  Not that life here is hard or bad, just different. And being so different it takes some of us longer to adjust to things like tiny houses, crazy driving, eating bananas so often, and bugs that lay eggs in your laundry while it is drying, and a stove that smokes up you pots every time you cook.
Lord, help me to learn to cross bridges like Sam does. Not just making it over, but loving the different and new You bring into my life. Help me to learn to love it like Sam does.

1 comment:

  1. The cross is the bridge. With Jesus all things are possible. Even crossing over the bridge. The way, the truth, and life. No one come to the father expect through me. The bridge.

    ReplyDelete